• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

segments or interspaces...difference?

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Debra,

You're going to have to look at the context. I have my students write "interspaces" or "segments" in their bubbles if it applies to differentiate between the two. Here are some examples.

DebraB

Blitzer
Hi Debra,

You're going to have to look at the context. I have my students write "interspaces" or "segments" in their bubbles if it applies to differentiate between the two. Here are some examples.

I am doing your blitz & I have bubbled & highlighted as your said but in the "blurb" the question on the exam
how do I know if they are talking about segments or interspaces?

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
On a board exam question you're looking up the codes - when you look up the codes you'll see a note "segment" or "interspace" - then you know what to abstract for. Of course you'd have to figure out if they are doing a partial excision or arthrodesis if you're using my examples above. If you determine it is an arthrodesis then you know from the codes that you are looking to figure out the number of interspaces not segments.

DebraB

Blitzer
On a board exam question you're looking up the codes - when you look up the codes you'll see a note "segment" or "interspace" - then you know what to abstract for. Of course you'd have to figure out if they are doing a partial excision or arthrodesis if you're using my examples above. If you determine it is an arthrodesis then you know from the codes that you are looking to figure out the number of interspaces not segments.

Again...I can't thank you enough. I took a class but my instructor did not explain well. I wish I had taken the original course with you!